Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Power of Lumpy Mail

I hit a closed door seminar the other night and was discussing the power of sending "lumpy mail". You know, sending toys with your sales letters and other gimmicky things to get peoples attention. I have seen this done well and I've seen this done poorly.

You have to have a real eye grabbing headline and it has to tie into your letter thematically. For example someone send me a toy plastic race car to go with my letter. The sales piece begged me not to turn into someone who is in last place -- get it? It's cute but I am not sure its a really strong sales piece. I would like something with a bit more punch to it.


That is why I suggest you find your own style.

ITS AMAZING WHAT YOU CAN SEND THROUGH THE POST OFFICE
Always check out with the Post Office when it comes to sending something. The last thing you want to do is order special shipping containers and get stuck with them. I mean honestly, who wants to get stuck with 400 prescription bottles, (you can send these right through the US Postal Service.... honestly!). If you can put a stamp on it and stick a sales letter inside of it there is a good chance you can run this through the postal service.

That is where things get very interesting. I have seen the following arrive

at my business address:

* Mail Bags, (for cash deposits)
* Prescription Bottles

* Plastic Bottles
* Full Size - Poster Board, (8 X 11) w/ Fax In
* Containers - of all sizes


Having pieces rattle around inside the box is another good attention grabber. You have to be pretty innovative to get your mail opened and that is the key. These tactics might come off as a little foolish but at the end of the day all we want to do is get our material looked over.

Posted by Cantu on Oct. 24, 2007 at 8:37 AM

No comments: